Arts Education: Leading the Way Conference
The first day of the Maine International Conference on the Arts will offer The Arts Education: Leading the Way conference. The Arts Educator conference will be held October 24 at UMaine Orono from 8:00 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. The conference will offer a rich choice of workshops facilitated by Maine’s Visual and Performing Arts educators from the Maine Arts Assessment Initiative (MAAI). Educators, teaching artists and artist teachers are encouraged to attend. The event promises to provide participants with a plethora of insights and choices for teaching in the standards-based environment.
Educators participating in phase three of the MAAI are focusing on understanding and implementing standards-based arts education within dance, music, theatre, and visual art. Workshops will be tailored to explore high quality teaching practices, engaging learning tools and the successful assessment strategies in arts education.
Conference workshops will include student-centered approaches to assessment, customizing arts education, literacy, utilizing technology for assessment, authentic assessments, proficiency-based curriculum, students creating assessments, performance portfolio development and much more!
Arts Education: Leading the Way conference participants will:
- Learn about the National Core Arts Standards.
- Attend arts assessment workshops that are facilitated by colleagues.
- Explore assessment methods and strategies designed to expand teaching and learning.
- Build connections among the arts disciplines: dance, media arts, music, theatre and visual art.
- Make new connections with other educators.
- Learn more about the Maine Arts Assessment Initiative.
- Participants can receive 6 Contact Hours for attending the Leading the Way conference.
- Participants can receive 20 Contact Hours for attending the Maine International Conference on the Arts.
- Date: Thursday, October 24, 2013.
- Location: UMaine, Orono, Collins Center for the Arts.
- Check in: 7:45 – 8:45 a.m.
- Conference: 8:45 a.m. – 4:15 p.m.
- Cost: $80 which includes registration for all sessions, morning coffee, lunch, afternoon snack and parking.
- Full (three-day) conference cost is $160.
- Conference registration is available through the Collins Center box office.
For a PDF of the Leading the Way Workshop Schedule, click here.
For more information please contact the Visual and Performing Arts Specialist at the Department of Education. Argy Nestor, 207/ 624-6825 - firstname.lastname@example.org