Search :
International Travel
The state of Maine is easily accessible by air, water and land. The resources on this page will clarify some of the most frequently used entry points, primarily focusing on land based travel.



Maine to New Brunswick port of entry with customs offices

Calais, Maine, United States
Next to the Ferry Point International Bridge to St. Stephen


Eastport, Maine, United States
Moose Island, Corner of Washington & Water Streets


New Brunswick to Maine Port of Entry with Customs Offices

Campobello Island, New Brunswick, Canada
Welshpool, Southern end of Hwy 774, next to the F.D. Roosevelt Memorial Bridge to Lubec.


Deer Island, New Brunswick, Canada
Southern end of Hwy 772 on road to Deer Island Point Campground and the ferry landing


Grand Manan Island, New Brunswick, Canada
North Head


St. Stephen, New Brunswick, Canada

Next to the Ferry Point International Bridge to Calais, Maine

Click here for a PDF of all major crossing points between Maine and Canada.



The Portland International Jetport is Maine’s primary commercial resource for air travel. Bangor International Airport also accommodates commercial air traffic. Regional airports include:



Ferry information from Maine to New Brunswick include:


Travel to Maine using private boats

You are required to report to customs immediately upon arrival by boat to the U.S., or Canada. If no customs officer is at the location, call customs, remain on your vessel, and await the customs officer. Do not visit or contact anyone until a customs official arrives.

  • When you arrive at a designated marina or dock contact the appropriate customs office
  • Provide the customs officer with the full name, birthdate, and citizenship for each person on board.
  • Declare all personal goods being imported, including firearms and weapons.Pay duties and taxes if necessary.
  • Customs will complete inspection documents and provide you with a report number for your records.
  • You will be advised that that you can now enter the country.


Helpful Information

Visitors to the U.S. who are at least 21 years of age may bring the following into the country: 200 cigarettes or 50 cigars or 2 kilograms (4.4 lbs.) of tobacco; 1 liter of alcohol and gifts to the value of $100.

Visitors to Canada may bring the following into the country: 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars, and 14 ounces of tobacco; 1.1 liters of liquor or wine or 24 x 355-milliliter (12-ounce) bottles or cans of beer for personal consumption; gifts up to the value of C$60 per gift. To import tobacco products a person must be 18 years of age or over, and to import alcoholic beverages the importer must have reached the legal age established by authorities of the province.

When crossing the border on public transportation you will be reunited with your luggage in order to take it across yourself. Transport companies take the inspection time into account in their schedules, and while mass transit is usually treated efficiently, the companies have no power over delays.

Driving a rental car across the U.S.-Canadian border is usually not a problem as long as you have made prior arrangements with the car rental company. Make sure you have a copy of the rental agreement with you, and that is states you have permission to take the vehicle across the border.

If you are driving a private car which isn't registered in the name of someone going on the trip, bring written proof that you have the permission of the owner to take the car into the other country.

For additional cross-border information, please visit either of the following web sites: Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) or U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP).


For more information please contact Kerstin Gilg
Director of  Media Arts and Performing Arts at the Maine Arts Commission
207/ 287-6719 -