- July 22, 2021
House Manager, Waterville Opera House
Full-Time; Exempt Status
Reports to: Executive Director, Waterville Opera House
The House Manager is responsible for ensuring that all aspects of front-of-house operations run smoothly and safely and are appropriately staffed. The House Manager fosters relationships and works closely with external artists, technical staff, and volunteers.
• Coordinate house open and start of performance with box office and technical staff; ensure operational readiness of ticket scanners and Point of Sale system; report and document any accidents or incidents; coordinate organizational response to emergencies during events; oversee the safe evacuation of venue in emergencies as needed; provide exceptional customer service to patrons; resolve patron issues as they arise ranging from seating issues to safety concerns; ensure ADA compliance.
• Manage event volunteers: schedule and train volunteer ushers, lead volunteer pre-performance meetings, review and update policies and practices and address volunteer personnel issues in a timely fashion.
• Manage all aspects related to concessions and merchandise, including inventory, display, signage, vendor management and purchasing, record keeping; file quarterly State sales tax reports and annual liquor license renewals with City of Waterville and State of Maine.
• Oversee routine facility maintenance; coordinate with external contractors for cleaning, building system repairs (HVAC), and annual inspections (lift, elevator, lighting, rigging, fire department).
• Communicate regularly with all staff to ensure house requirements are met for each event.
• Perform other duties as assigned across all divisions of Waterville Creates.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Bachelor’s degree or 3-5 years of work experience in a fast-paced customer service environment
• Knowledge and experience collaborating with teams of diverse experience, age, and background.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with a strong emphasis on oral communication and conflict management
• Strong written communication and computer skills including Microsoft Office, Dropbox, Square, and the ability to become adept with new software.
• Experience with volunteer management.
• Exceptional customer service and team building skills.
• Strong organizational and time management skills.
• Ability to self-motivate and work independently with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
• Valid driver’s license required.
• This position requires availability for working shifts during nights and weekends.
Work is performed in a general office environment. Light lifting (up to 50 pounds) required. Full range of physical mobility including walking, sitting, standing, stooping, carrying, reaching and manual dexterity is required.
Waterville Creates (WC) seeks qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds and lived experiences to apply for the opportunity to join our team. WC is committed to building a more equitable work environment that includes a wide array of voices. We believe a diverse workforce strengthens our organization by increasing representation, expanding access, and building a strong creative coalition for the work we undertake. Waterville Creates is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Send cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com. Include "House Manager Position" in the subject line.