Job Opportunity — GENERAL MANAGER at Portland Ballet
- August 06, 2019
Job Description — GENERAL MANAGER
Reporting to the Artistic and Executive Director (AED), the General Manager (GM) will have operational responsibility for Portland Ballet’s administration and financial oversight, will support the Executive Director with fundraising efforts, and further the execution of Portland Ballet’s (PB) mission. He/she will be responsible for developing a comprehensive knowledge of PB's core programs and classes, all professional performances, non-profit business operations and best practices, financial reporting, and following business plans that reflect the strategic plan as set forth by the AED and the board. This position is 3/4-hours, and has flexible working hours except during production weeks.
Leadership & Management:
- Execute a consistent quality of finance reporting, business administration, fundraising, communications, and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals.
- Prepare daily and monthly financial reports with AED and Board Treasurer.
- Work with Board Treasurer on filing 990 tax returns and on annual audits.
- Track and document all expenses. Monitor payroll for all dancers, staff, and faculty.
- Track tuition, set-up and document payment plans, and execute collections when necessary.
- Work with AED to support Costume Mistress, Production Manager, and Lighting Designer with the budgeted line items.
- Work with AED to draft all new hire paperwork, and contracts for volunteers, interns, dancers, staff, and faculty.
- Provide Grant Writer with supporting information for granting purposes.
- Provide general administrative assistance and support to creative teams.
- Lead, coach, and energize Portland Ballet’s interns.
- Maintain a positive and professional First Impression of PB and Portland School of Ballet (PSB).
- Answer phones and handle a large volume of questions about PB and PSB.
- Work with Assistant to the Director in registering new and current students.
- Manage PB’s Office email account; Respond to inquiries as quickly as possible and forwarding messages as appropriate.
- Train and coach volunteer receptionists.
- Work with AED to build new partnerships and establish relationships with donors and community leaders.
- Processing donations and maintaining donor database.
- Attend fundraising and community events as necessary.
- Work with Assistant to the Director on creating, printing, and mailing Appeal Letters.
- Monitor day-to-day operations at PB’s studios.
- Oversee the ordering of office supplies, stationery and paper products.
- Sort and distribute mail as appropriate; File documents as needed.
- Oversee distribution of keys.
- Contact the landlord when needed.
- Work with staff to maintain a clean and tidy facility.
Production & Theater:
- Work with AED and Assistant to the Director in managing and organizing Front of House and Ticket Sales at all PB and PSB productions.
- Manage rental calendar of the Portland Ballet Studio Theater.
- Reply to general inquiries of the space, and giving physical tours when needed.
- Draft rental contracts and payment oversight.
- Establish and maintain new and existing relationships with renters.
- Coordinate with the Production Manager for Theater needs as necessary.
- Experience in performing arts production and administration preferred.
- Ability to work long hours and weekends as needed, especially during production- and theater weeks.