Sediments We Move - Brunswick
- Date: May 1, 2022
- Time: 01:00 PM - 03:00 PM
- Location: Studzinski Recital Hall, Brunswick
This spring, Oratorio Chorale and the Bowdoin College Chorus, under the direction of Dr. Emily Isaacson, present the U.S. premiere of Charlotte Greve’s Sediments We Move.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Like plunging a bottle into the ocean, then swirling the sand, silt, and water together, Sediments We Move mixes myriad influences, flowing freely between choral music, rock, jazz, and bombastic ’80s-inspired pop. A Brooklyn- and Berlin-based saxophonist, composer, and singer, Charlotte Greve is the winner of the 2012 and 2018 ECHO Jazz Prizes and has been praised as the “Best of Bandcamp.” Greve and her ensemble, Wood River, will be in residence at Bowdoin College to rehearse, coach, and perform this work.
Praise for Sediments We Move:
- “This ambitious suite… contains guitar parts that might appeal to fans of jazz musician Nels Cline. And its choral writing should excite devotees of Roomful of Teeth. Yet it’s the effortless feel of Greve’s fusion that feels most notable — and capable of creating new audiences of its own.” - New York Times, The 25 Best Classical Music Tracks of 2021
- "A stirring composite of choral hymns, progressive rock, and free jazz." - Pitchfork
- “Charlotte Greve is a polymath with an exceptional talent…Sediments We Move is an entirely different, otherworldly thing of beauty that defies category.” - Jazz Times
All Sediments We Move events are open to the public free of charge but require advance registration via Eventbrite: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/296297883947
Please take note of this event's COVID policies as listed on the registration page.