Scott McPheeters here reaching out with information about Subcircle's event presenting BANDALOOP's LOOM:FIELD in Biddeford on August 18th. We're so grateful to have received support from MAC for this project and want to make sure the event is on your calendar. Please view all press release information below and please let me know if you have any question.
Internationally acclaimed vertical dance company, BANDALOOP
(from Oakland, CA) will perform their work LOOM:FIELD
in Biddeford - kicking off Biddeford’s annual Fringe Festival and River Jam.
BIO: BANDALOOP honors nature, community, and the human spirit through perspective-bending dance. An innovator in vertical performance, BANDALOOP seamlessly weaves dynamic physicality, intricate choreography and climbing technology to turn the dance floor on its side. Founded by Amelia Rudolph and under the artistic direction of Melecio Estrella, BANDALOOP re-imagines dance, activates public spaces, and inspires wonder and imagination in audiences around the world. The company trains dancers and youth at home and on tour, and has performed for millions of people in over 30 countries in Europe, Africa, the Middle East, the Americas, and Asia, and on screens in films and digital media.
Who: BANDALOOP is being presented by Biddeford-based arts non-profit, Subcircle, in partnership with Biddeford community based organizations Heart of Biddeford + Engine
Friday, August 18th, 2023 at 5pm and 7pm
The BANDALOOP performers will dance on the side of Biddeford’s newest residential community, Lofts at The Levee.
Parking at the Pearl Street Parking Garage in Biddeford is encouraged - 15 Pearl St. Biddeford
For the past two years, BANDALOOP has been touring their work LOOM:FIELD
- LOOM:FIELD is the centerpiece of the LOOM trilogy, a multi-year initiative bringing together a collective of performing artists, climate scientists, regenerative textile artists, a visual technologist, and creative riggers to create performances that deepen and challenge perspectives on the art and industry of textiles. Transforming the building’s façade into a giant loom where stories and dances interlace, LOOM:FIELD is directed by Melecio Estrella and marks the first major work by the company since Estrella assumed the position following Founding Artistic Director Amelia Rudolph’s shift to Director of Special Projects. “LOOM lifts up the social, the environmental, and the ancestral aspects of fabric and fashion,” says Estrella. (From BANDALOOP’s website)
After two years of planning with BANDALOOP, and nearly a year of raising funds, Subcircle is excited to publicly announce that this event is happening. Given Biddeford’s history as a textile mill town, we believe the cultural relevancy and spectacle of this work in particular has the potential to greatly impact our community.
Project Sponsors (specific language usage requested by granting organization)
This project has been funded in part by a grant from the Maine Arts Commission, an independent state agency supported by the National Endowment for the Arts
- New England Foundation for the Arts:
The presentation of BANDALOOP's LOOM:FIELD was made possible by the New England Foundation for the Arts' National Dance Project, with lead funding from the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation and the Mellon Foundation.
- Horizon Foundation (No specific language desired)
- This project has also been supported by many local corporate and individuals sponsors.
For more information:
Please contact us by cell phone via:
(207) 229-4170 (Scott McPheeters - Subcircle Co-Director)
(267) 269-1449 (Niki Cousineau - Subcircle Co-Director)
Thank you so much!