Calling Artists for Holiday Showcase
- October 05, 2020
Museum Holiday Showcase
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Holiday Showcase runs November 21 – December 20, 2020
At the Brick Store Museum
117 Main Street, Kennebunk, Maine
The Holiday Showcase at the Brick Store Museum recognizes that without fairs, festivals or large gatherings, artists and creators have been devastated this year. The Museum’s Showcase will be a month-long event inside the Museum’s galleries that will feature the works of artists, crafters, and makers of all media and categories to submit your items to this holiday showcase for sale to the public. The Museum’s typical admission fee will be complimentary during the Showcase (November – December) to encourage visitation to the show.
This event is not a “booth show,” but a display of local art and craft that will be designed more like a retail pop-up store. Artists do not need to be on-site to sell their pieces; yet we invite you to help market this opportunity by filming an “About the Artist” video with Museum staff upon drop-off of your pieces so that you can speak to consumers directly about your work (via video!). Additionally, the Showcase will have a virtual component to help sell your items through the Museum’s online store (you may opt-out of this option); and showcase your work via social media (you may opt-out of this option).
The Museum is dedicated to highlighting local arts and entrepreneurs, and we offer this outlet to support local artists and the Museum in this impactful year. We take safety very seriously and have enhanced visitor guidelines to limit capacity inside the Museum so visitors and shoppers can feel safe. You can learn more about these guidelines here: http://brickstoremuseum.org/welcomehome
The Holiday Showcase will take place from November 21 – December 20. The Museum is open six days per week (closed Mondays).
- Items will be displayed in the Museum’s galleries, categorized by artist, but displayed together with all submissions. You are welcome to drop off a specialized display rack or pedestal, which will be used at the discretion of Museum staff when setting up the show.
- The Museum is locked and alarmed when not operating.
- There is no fee to participate! The Brick Store Museum will ask for a 30% commission on artists’ total sales.
o Sales will be processed through the Museum’s cash register, and Museum staff will track the sales for each artist.
o Artists will be mailed checks on December 31, 2020. Payments will represent the artists’ total commission, minus Brick Store Museum commission and sales tax and/or shipping costs (both paid by the Brick Store Museum).
- At the end of the sale, artists will be asked to pick up any unsold items.
TO TAKE PART:
- Submit an application (next page) to the Museum by October 30. The Museum reserves the right to deny entry to any works considered inappropriate for family audiences.
WHEN DELIVERING YOUR PIECES:
- Please drop off items at the Museum by Wednesday, November 11.
- Please bring an inventory list with you, including prices and inventory numbers (the Museum will be in touch regarding official inventory form and number assigned to you).
o Each item MUST be marked individually (using tags, tape, etc) with price AND inventory number, otherwise it will not be displayed.
- You will sign a Loan-In Form to acknowledge the Museum’s receipt of your pieces.
- Please email us (email@example.com) a short bio and artist statement to display in the Showcase next to your pieces.
- When dropping off your pieces, please come prepared to speak on camera with a piece of yours and to explain your craft. Filming will last about 5 minutes, and is a time for you to market your items to the community. These shorts films will be shared on social media, on the Museum’s website, and on iPads within the showcase. You may opt out of this.
- The Museum will also post your items for sale on our Mercantile, the Museum’s online store at www.brickstoremuseumshop.org. You may opt out of this.
HOW SHOULD I PRICE MY PIECES?
Pricing your items is completely up to you. In the past, the Museum staff have noted that items within the $50 & under range sell well; items priced $25 & under sell extremely well; while more expensive pieces are slower to sell. Bringing a mix of items will help.
HOW MANY PIECES SHOULD I OFFER?
This is completely up to you. If you are bringing larger pieces (like paintings or furniture), we suggest only 3-4 pieces due to space constraints. For smaller items (like books, jewelry, cards, soaps, etc.) a number of 8 – 10 is suggested. If we sell out, we will contact you.
If you have any questions, please call (207)985-4802 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about the Brick Store Museum, please visit http://brickstoremuseum.org/engagement/holidayshowcase/