The City of Belfast, as it does every two years, is searching for a local poet to serve as Belfast's Poet Laureate. The successful applicant will be Belfast's 10th Poet Laureate. Belfast has had a poet laureate, an official city designation, since 2007, when then mayor, now-Councilor Mike Hurley created the position. Here are the particulars of the outreach.
Invitation to Apply or Nominate for the next Belfast Poet Laureate
Belfast Poet Laureate, Position, Policy and Process
1. The City of Belfast appoints an honorary position of Belfast Poet Laureate
2. This is an unfunded position with no allowed expenses, except the Poet Laureate may choose to have business cards printed at the city’s expense, and may apply for grants that benefit the community.
3. The title of Poet Laureate may be used after the poet’s name for literary uses, i.e. on books, posters, and resumes but not for commercial enterprises.
4. The job description is as follows:
Qualifications: Be Belfastian, a clever, productive, thoughtful, colorful, and a well worded poet to express and convey a poet’s vision of Belfast. This is your chance to combine art with public service. The Poet Laureate is expected to organize poetry activities, and to serve on the Steering Committee of the annual Belfast Poetry Festival. Be prepared to be stopped on the street to answer deep questions about poetry. Maintain a welcoming atmosphere for both emerging and established poets. Be the “public poet” of Belfast, the Biggest Little Poetry Town in Maine.
5. Poet Laureate applicants must be a resident of Belfast or one of the abutting towns ofBelmont, Morrill, Northport, Swanville, Searsport, Waldo.
6. The term is to run two years, beginning on New Year’s Day, (unless circumstances require a different date.) The position ends on 12/31 two years later.
Applicants or nominated poets are asked to send a one-page letter listing qualifications and vision for performing the duties of the Belfast Poet Laureate and attach a copy of one Belfast-oriented poem. The Poet Laureate Committee will review the applications/nominations and choose a Poet Laureate nominee.
Please apply or nominate someone to firstname.lastname@example.org before December 10th, 2018. Please put "Poet Laureate Nomination" in the subject line.